Another view of the above area (annotated).
Photograph taken by a local Gettysburg Photographer of the family of Major General John F. Reynolds, of Lancaster, PA, visiting in the Plum Run area between Devil’s Den and the Slaughter Pen. Little Round Top is in the background. November 19, 1863. Note lack of trees on Little Round Top’s crest compared to modern photo below. Local farmer was hired by the Army to harvest those trees after the Battle.
Modern view of same area. Note the trees on the crest of Little Round Top.
It should be noted that the modern condition being achieved by the National Park Service and its staff at Gettysburg National Military Park consists of not only removing trees to match the historical photographic and documentary evidence from the time, but also adding wood lots and orchards where period maps, photographs and documentary evidence show them to be located.
While the tree thinning has caused some of the written history to be revisited, the newly planted wood lots and orchards will take at least ten-fifteen years to approach maturity and demonstrate their effect on the written history of the Battle.
“Legislation without representation is tyranny.”
Remember in November! Before you vote,
Copyright © 2007: GettysBLOG; All Rights Reserved.